My Shop!

Wednesday, February 16

Me.Read.Good.

I don't read books very often, unless they're a little satirical. Books tend to lead me to a snore and some books can take from months to years for me to finish (enter I am America and So Can You by Stephen Colbert). I can't pinpoint the types of books I like, but sometimes I find one that's an amazing read and I just can't put it down. My favourite book through high school was To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee. I must have read it a dozen times. The movie stinks, but then again, I hate black and white oldies.

A few years ago, someone suggested I read a book called The Glass Castle by Jeannette Walls. This is an autobiography that focuses mostly on the author's mother and her "loose" thoughts on life and parenting. I COULDN'T PUT IT DOWN. I sought out other books by the same author and found the prequel to The Glass Castle titled Broken Horses - this one features her Grandmother. Seems there's a long line of distorted morals in this family. Not the same impact, but it shed new light on The Glass Castle. Easy and quick read - and you can't believe sometimes that people live nomadic lives like these.

My new read? A book my mom highly suggested. She's into dark books as much as I am, difference being she reads a book a month. I'm not competitive with her, so I let her win the bookworm contest. Anyway, she suggested I read a book titled The Boy in the Striped Pyjamas by John Boyne a fictional tale about two boys - the son of a Nazi commandant and a Jewish concentration camp inmate becoming the best of friends. Spoiler alert... it doesn't have a happy ending. Available for $5.99 at Winners/Home Sense. A steal for a good read!

No comments:

Post a Comment